15 Days of Thankfulness

Today I am thankful for General Conference. I just got my copy of the Ensign in the mail yesterday so I've finally had a chance to start reading through talks. Since having children I pretty much don't get anything out of watching conference, but I still like to try. Getting the Ensign is a good way to catch up on what I missed. I know that some consider General Conference to be a reminder of the centralized hierarchy that rules the church. I've always felt completely opposite; Conference reminds me of the fact that I belong to a global church. On one weekend we are all tuned in together, hearing the same messages and participating in a world-wide communion. I love the pictures in the conference edition of the magazine; I especially like that they have started to introduce some photos from around the world. Some day I would like to attend conference in person. Despite living in Utah for nearly ten years I never took the opportunity.

I also realized while reading through this issue that someone from Latin America spoke in every single session, including Priesthood and Relief Society. To me that is a pretty major milestone, although it seems to have been overlooked in some of the hubub over other talks. I appreciate the stories about sacrificing and traveling great distances to go to the temple, or the testimony of a man who has lost two of his children in infancy. Not that Latin Americans have a monopoly on trials; we in the United States certainly have similar stories of our own. I just appreciate the accents that remind us that over 1 million of us live in Mexico and more than half of us are not American (well, not estadounidense). I love being part of a global church. And I know I'm biased, but I think it's pretty cool that we're starting to have global literature being quoted in conference. First Martin Fierro, maybe next time Sor Juana? I know I'm looking forward to it.

Comments

Carina said…
I love the world-wide emphasis as well. It warms me to hear an accent from the pulpit; the soft sounds of Portuguese, the sweeter sound of Spanish. I can't wait to see where the church goes in our lifetime.
Earth Sign Mama said…
I was struck this fall also by the range of accented English that was spoken in the talks. I love it! That is one of my favorite things about the church--it doesn't have map boundaries. This feature just hollers out loud: God created us all---we're REALLY brothers and sisters.
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
Me too! Me too! I was so excited to hear Martin Fierro. Maybe a little 'I know who I am' from Don Quijote is in order as well...
Kristeee said…
There's a strong German presence as well, which is fun for me. One of the things I love about the church is its unique sameness throughout the world. And though I still think it's sad that Primary kids aren't Stars and Blazers anymore, I'm glad that the worldwide emphasis grows and continues. And we can learn so much from these other cultures - anyone who's been around Africans when they worship can testify of their faith, humility, and joy and can't help but think, "gee, I need some more of that in my own life."

And now I'm rambling. Sorry.
Desmama said…
I thought this was a really neat thing the Church is doing as well. And I agree with what people have already said.
Desmama said…
Is that link working for anyone else? It's not working for me. *Grumbles*
FoxyJ said…
DesMama--There's an extra "http" in the link. I just deleted it and got it to work. That looks like a cool program--I'm sad we won't be in Utah until the week after that.
Desmama said…
Did you just reveal you're coming to Utah again? Color me excited. We really do need to meet up. That is, if you might have the time. I know traveling is sometimes hard, trying to fit in seeing everyone and kids off their schedules, etc. Still . . . ;)
Jenny said…
The talk by the man who lost two of his children was one of my favorites as well. You should attend conference! I bet you can get tickets from your ward in WA. It is a really nice experience.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals