Thanksgiving Day

I'm thankful that dinner turned out beautifully and everything tasted great. It was even ready on time and we only had one semi-major mishap. I tried the Alton Brown recipe for turkey from the Food Network and stuck the turkey in the oven to start at 500 degrees. After 20 minutes smoke started filling the house. It turned out that the old Pyrex pan I was using to cook it in split right down the middle. The grease was spilling out and burning all over the oven. We got the turkey in a new pan and cleared the air and the rest of the dinner went well. It could have been a lot worse.

I'm thankful my sister came to visit. We love having her come and she's already been a lot of fun. Plus she brought Williams Sonoma peppermint hot chocolate and a fun Thai martial arts movie that we watched tonight. And she cleaned up the kitchen this evening.

I'm thankful to live in a beautiful city with so many opportunities to see nature right by our house. After our meal we drove over to a wetland area by the university and had a little nature hike. We saw some muskrats in the water and a whole bunch of birds. Little Dude had a blast walking all over the place watching the birdies and picking up little rocks and leaves.

I'm thankful for my sweet husband who decorated our table and drew cool-looking place cards for all of us. I'm grateful for S-Boogie for coloring the cards and for being so enthusiastic about life, even my "big fat tummy that is so full of food" (she doesn't realize that mommy doesn't think that's a compliment). I'm even grateful that Little Dude took a nice nap during the middle of the day so we could set up the meal.

I'm grateful for so many things, and for all my readers and friends. Blogging has become a big part of my life, and most of the time that has been a positive thing. Thanks for sharing your lives with me and making connections.

Comments

While I think his brine is fabulous and the cook time is right, a word to the wise on Alton's Turkey recipe: pour broth or water in the bottom of the pan. 3 cups to begin with and then check on it about half way through. Our turkeys never have enough drippings to keep what drippings there are from burning and smoking something horrible. We put broth in the bottom and it makes the drippings still good for gravy. And I'd recommend a thick metal pan. I know that doesn't help now, but just for future reference.

We learned that the hard way too.

I'm glad it still tasted good!!
Jenny said…
I made the same turkey! It was so good, only we used a turkey breast instead of a whole turkey. Did you guys like it? I tried the Martha Stewart brine recipe last week and it was so incredibly salty.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals