8 Days of Thankfulness

Today I am grateful for Dr. Seuss. He's pretty much the best children's book author ever. I remember one time as a kid on our way to the beach my mom pointed out his house and thought it was amazing. When I was four or five we all got Dr. Seuss books from the Santa at the Christmas party at my dad's work. For several years afterwards one of our favorite games was "oobleck", in which the floor became oobleck and we had to jump on furniture, toys, or books to escape. My mom hated it.

Dr. Seuss also wrote the most amazing ABC book ever. I had it memorized as a kid and have read it to both of mine. The interesting thing is, they have both loved it and through it have come to love the alphabet. S-Boogie called her letters "cees" for a long time, and Little Dude has recently started pointing out letters and saying "eee". It's also one of the few alphabet books to recognize that in the English language the letter X most commonly appears within words and not at the beginning. Genius.

Comments

Anonymous said…
You'd love The Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden in Springfield, MA. When I lived there I went often. Many of his characters have been recreated in metal. Copy and paste the following in your browser. http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotos-g60968-Springfield_Massachusetts.html#16790313
Lindsay said…
I think Dr. Seuss's ABC book is my all-time favorite of his. I have such fond memories of my mom reading it to us over and over (and over and over) when we were little. Thanks for sparking that pleasant little memory!
rantipoler said…
Ah, Dr. Seuss. My first experience with him was reading Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now?! As a kid while waiting for my mom at the obstetrician's office (she was pregnant with my little brother). Only as an adult did I discover the book is about Richard M. Nixon. HA!
My mom gave me "Oh The Places You'll Go" for high school graduation. When I'm discouraged I just remember that I'm brainy and footsy and I can move mountains if I want to. How little she knew of just how many places I would go, and that I would take the book's title at its word. Oh, and my six year-old tried ham on Sunday because of "Green Eggs and Ham."

And I don't think we've had two Thanksgivings or Christmases celebrated the same way. This year will be no exception.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals