Hey big spender

I just finished compiling totals for our spending last year. We keep track of our budget in a spreadsheet in Excel, so it wasn't too hard to see what we've spent on various things over the course of the year. It was a very enlightening exercise. For instance, I tend to think (and say) that we don't eat out very much. We probably don't, especially compared to a lot of other people. But we still managed to spend an average of nearly $60 a month on eating out during 2005. Now, that average is a little skewed by the fact that we went on several vacations, when we tend to eat out a little more often. But still, all those quick lunches at Burgers Supreme really do add up. Our monthly average for eating out expenses is more than our average for books and movies. I think we should reverse that. Literature is so much more healthy than french fries.

The other disturbing thing was discovering that if we add up our insurance premiums as well as our out-of-pocket stuff, we spent somewhere between 13-15% of our income on medical expenses. IHC got a bigger chunk of our money than our landlord, BYU, or even the Mormon church. I have come to the realization that our insurance is somewhat of a ripoff--if Master Fob were full-time and we didn't have to pay the premium, it wouldn't be so bad. But we pay a pretty high premium in addition to high deductibles. Blah. I don't think we could get much better if we shopped around, though, and it's definitely been better than having nothing. I am certainly learning much more about the ins and outs of health insurance and hopefully in the future we can get into something better. A few years ago I didn't really even know what a deductible was, so I've definitely learned something. And I really hope that this next kid doesn't have any sort of cronic health problems. If she does, we may have to sell her.

Comments

AmyJane said…
You must be a very responsible budgeter. I try but it often gets the better of me. I make a budget at teh beginning of each month, trying to anticipate expenses. And then I pay all the major bills. And then it all goes to crap and I forget to write down totals and "borrow" from different categories and whatnot. I keep begging Sean to be in charge of the money but he says it would be worse. So. I am very pround of you for even knowing your average eating out expenditures. Good work.
Christian said…
One must never spend more money on food than on books. That's just messed priorities.

And if you must sell the new child, and said new child is as cute as S-Boogie, I call dibs.
Desmama said…
You referred to New Baby as a she. It that what it is?
Sold.

Oh, and the ultrasound was inconclusive but there were no discernible boy parts.
Th. said…
.

We used to be all Excelled up. I miss those days.

Further evidence that M-Fob's claim is correct....
COOLGUY said…
You'll be a Democrat yet (if you aren't already). HealthCare is a major issue that the Republicans lack the political guts to even discuss, let alone try for a solution.!!
FoxyJ said…
I'm definitely a Decomcrat in a lot of areas. Health care is certainly one of them. It is a major problem that needs a major solution. A lot of people with major debt got that way with medical costs. I could write an even longer post about all the other health care related issues I've run into, but I'll save it for another day.
Anonymous said…
Hey, it's not all bad. Don't forget to take the tax deduction. Anything you spend on health care over 7.25% (or thereabouts) of your income is a deduction. One miserable year we exceeded that and the deduction was nice. It didn't make up for the expense, but it was good to see some of it come back.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals