Notes from the Weekend

Travelling by yourself is a breeze after you've spent several years travelling with children. This is the first time in my life that I actually enjoyed being on an airplane.

The MOA cafe used to have good food, but they've really gone downhill sometime during the last ten years. Lon's Barbeque Shack was also mediocre--my baked beans were somewhat undercooked and my potato salad was bland. However, The Pudding on the Rice is as good as all the hype I've heard about it, and bittersweet chocolate rice pudding makes an excellent breakfast as well as dessert. I think Seattle needs a rice pudding restaurant.

Teaching is actually kind of fun. Especially when students figure stuff out for themselves and are excited about learning.

I'm glad I took time to visit the MOA's Beholding Salvation exhibit. I actually found myself most moved by some of the more contemporary pieces. I don't know if it was just because they were so unique in their vision, or maybe it was because they were all so intimate and personal in their depiction of our relationship with Christ.

I felt very nostalgic in Provo this time. I think it's because I was visiting by myself, and it was the beginning of Spring term. Even though I don't like the heat, I love the feeling of Provo during Spring and Summer terms when most of the students are gone and everything feels so free and light.

Master Fob not only hung out with the kids the whole time I was gone, he also cleaned the house and helped S-Boogie make me a Mother's Day card. And he left a bouquet of flowers on the table. That was very nice of him.

I always spend way too much money when I'm on vacation. This time was no exception. Some of my spending was justified (new underwear for the first time in years), some was not (books from the clearance table at the BYU Bookstore). Note to self: you don't have a job yet.

Comments

TK said…
I'm glad you enjoyed your trip. And I'm sure you deserved a little splurge - you'll have a job soon enough - and then you might not have time to shop, at least not at the BYU Bookstore! :)
Tolkien Boy said…
Hey, welcome back--it's good to know that Utah is still there and not swallowed up by...um, lime jello.

With carrots.
ambrosia ananas said…
Ditto what tk said. You deserve to spend a little money on yourself. Plus the books were on sale, so you were being practical.

Glad you liked Pudding on the Rice. I love that place. Such a pleasant surprise after the nasty, watery rice puddings I ate as a kid.
Rebecca said…
Books are ALWAYS justified!
Melyngoch said…
Yeah, the bookstore's remainder tables are the best part of one's pilgrimage to Provo. It's not a vacation without accidentally doubling or tripling your book-buying budget at that shrine.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals