Thanks A Lot, Dora

Before I had children I was determined that they would never view television. Now I have a child who is obsessed with Dora the Explorer. She doesn't go to the library to get books, she goes to get a new Dora video (well, she gets books, but they aren't the exciting part). It's my fault for buying her Pull-Ups, because she learned who Dora was and wanted to get a Dora video when she saw one at the library. Now we are fully in the throes of a Dora addiction. I've drawn the line of Dora accessories like clothing or bedding, but we've even bought her some Dora books. She wakes up every morning and tells me that she dreamed about Dora and Boots. Oh well--I spent years of my childhood convinced I was going to grow up and marry Shamu and I still turned out normally.

I've actually grown to somewhat appreciate Dora. At least she's a strong female character, and she's comfortable with her cultural heritage. She speaks Spanish and English, and has a variety of friends who speak one or both of those languages. When she hangs out with her family, it usually includes her parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. The show is comfortably Hispanic without being really obviously annoying about it. S-Boogie is actually picking up some Spanish from it. It's really cute when she goes around singing "Arriba up, abajo down" or when she wants to know if something is larga or corta. But her latest video taught her that para means "stop in Spanish", as she keeps reminding me. When she doesn't like what I'm saying, she'll throw up her hand and yell Para! at me. If I don't respond, she'll say, "I said para Mom, that means stop in Spanish". Nice.

You know what would be funny? An episode titled "Dora and La Migra". Dora has to get from Oaxaca to join her family at the meatpacking plant in Omaha without getting caught.

Comments

Desmama said…
*Snorting with laughter at the episode idea*

I've resisted exposing DesTot to too many cartoon characters, but I imagine it won't be too long before she figures out a few on her own. The one I will adamantly and actively resist is Barbie. Because I want her to maintain a shred of decency as a female.

I love the "Para!" thing, by the way. DesDad used to speak all in Spanish to DesTot until we figured out she couldn't hear anything we were saying, Spanish or English, so we figured we'd just focus on getting her caught up in one language. I'd still love for her to be comfortable hearing and speaking Spanish. Maybe we'll start watching our DVDs in Spanish. Thanks for your encouragement on my blog. I'm going to give your ideas a try.
FoxyJ said…
I'm glad you're laughing at the episode idea. After I published it I started to worry that it would be offensive. I know that many Hispanics in the US are not here illegally.

Anyways, I totally agree on the Barbie thing. I'm also pretty anti-Disney, especially the whole Princess thing. I think some Disney movies are cool, but not appropriate daily viewing for three-year-olds.

Oh, and people always ask if I speak Spanish to my kids. I actually don't, because it's not my native language and it just doesn't feel natural. As they get bigger, I'd love for them to enroll in some sort of a class or a good quality dual immersion program. Especially if I end up going back to Spain for research and such.
Tolkien Boy said…
Oooh, throw in a dash of Fast Food Nation in there, too.
Jenny said…
I love the Dora idea. SNL did a Dora spoof and it was funny but not as funny as what you just suggested. I am always so embarrassed when Savvy wants to get Dora books from the library because that so does not count as literature in my opinion.

I'm glad your daughter is learning something from it. All mine learned was how to talk louder and that she wants a big pinata for her birthday every year.

And about the Disney princesses, I wasn't that anti until she started picking up all this stupid crap from them and now I'm not a huge fan. She likes to yank her clothes off her shoulders and walk around like that saying she's Jasmine. Drives me insane.
N.F. said…
My friend's daughter says the same thing. ALL THE TIME. "Arriba UP, Abajo DOWN!"
Katria said…
My cousin is in Oaxaca right now.
Melyngoch said…
Hey, I grew up thinking I was a Care Bear and it all worked out. But we weren't allowed Barbie in our house, and I think that was for the best.

At least S-boogie translates.
Kristeee said…
All the Spanish I know comes from watching Sesame Street as a kid - I still remember that Placido Flamingo taught me that peligro means danger.

And the episode idea was hilarious. You should definitely submit the idea somewhere. Jimmy Kimmel would do it.
Lady Steed said…
I let Big O watch Dora for a while, he liked it but never picked up any Spanish. All I let him watch regularly now is Sesame Street and Clifford--but mostly because it gives me a chance to take a shower each morning. Frankly he watches too much TV, but I love my shower!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals