It's beginning to look (and smell) a lot like Christmas

For the first few years of marriage we had a tiny little artificial tree that we bought while living in Wymount, which forbids real trees lest they burn down the cinderblocks and cement. Finally, last year, we got a real tree and I remembered why I love them so much. This year I had hoped to start a new tradition by venturing out to a tree farm. However, with school and all the other things going on in our lives, a good day for a tree hunt has had trouble materializing. We had planned to go tomorrow, but the weather website predicts "heavy rain" for the entire day and the next few days as well, so tonight I gave up my romantic ideas and had Master Fob walk over to the grocery store to get us a tree. It turns out that it doesn't matter where the tree comes from--it still looks and smells wonderful in the corner of your living room. And it also turns out that my plastic candy canes from Pic N Save are still holding up after all these years and they are perfect for little people who like to decorate trees. S-Boogie is in love with the tree and I am too. Outside it may be frightful, but inside it's quite delightful with our beautiful grocery store Christmas tree.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yeah, we're losers who don't even have a tree. We were going to go up to the mountains and chop one down with a few other families in the ward but then we decided that since Patrick and I are leaving on teh 18th, we'll just appreciate Nana's tree instead! Post us some pics of yours?
Anonymous said…
There really is nothing like the smell of a real tree. I think for me, that scent captures my memories of Christmas perfectly. Nothing reminds me more vividly of them. Great--now I have to run and buy a scented candle so I can replicate it since we have an artificial tree.
Anonymous said…
Hurrah for real trees! Ours quit sucking up more water the beginning of this week. I will keep my fingers crossed yours lasts longer than ours.
Anonymous said…
Tree killer! :(

Christmas is like the holocaust for evergreens. Is it really necessary?
Earth Sign Mama said…
Most Christmas trees are grown on tree farms like those cattle on the feedlots, or the chickens all crushed together in the tiny cages, or the celery growing in tightly packed rows in Oxnard CA---their ONLY purpose in life is to be destroyed for your enjoyment. And I do enjoy them---all of them---Merry Christmas!!!
Th. said…
.

Most environmentalists I know are in favor of tree farming. And I live in Berkeley.
FoxyJ said…
Getting a live tree is definitely the way to go if you want to be environmentally friendly. Most tree farms are still small, locally owned businesses. A tree is a natural, recyclable product that can be completely returned to nature when you are done with it. Wheras, your average plastic tree is manufactured in China in a pollution-spewing factory only to be used for a few years before being dumped in a landfill. And real trees smell better.
skyeJ said…
Or, you could make a tree out of butcher paper. Then, you'd be killing trees AND saving the fresh cut ones. ALL AT ONCE. That's what I'M going to do tonight in my Moroccan house. It just doesn't EVER feel like Christmas in a Muslim country.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals