Just around the corner

The start of a new year always leads me to reflect on the previous twelve months. Last year I made a list of the "Top Ten Photos of 2005". That really was a good year--we did lots of cool things and accomplished a lot of goals. I don't feel quite the same way about 2006; in fact, I'm pretty happy to see it go. We did do some big things, like having a baby and moving. But overall I didn't feel very happy for most of the year. Master Fob had to work a lot. Recovering from the shock of having two kids took much longer than I expected. And I'm not much closer to having a master's degree than I was a year ago.

On the other hand, I am looking forward to 2007. We're getting settled in to Seattle and it's starting to feel a bit more like home now. I feel a lot more comfortable with having two kids, and Little Dude is more of a human and less of a screaming grubworm now. S-Boogie is starting preschool next week and tomorrow marks her last day in Nursery, so I think this will be a year of big changes for her. Hopefully her preschool time will give me more free hours to work on my thesis, and I feel well enough mentally to actually do it now.

I have often fallen into the trap of assuming that I'll be happier any time I'm in a new situation. I know I'll wake up on Monday morning with the same problems in my life. I'll probably still have some bad days as well as some good ones. But I do like the new year because it marks a natural point to set some goals and try again on some things. I think it's especially cool this year because New Year's Day is also a Monday, so hopefully we can start the week and the year off on a good note. I also think that staying up on Sunday night to watch movies and eat caramel popcorn is another good way to start the year off right. We'll have to see if it works.

Comments

Earth Sign Mama said…
One interesting thing about motherhood is that two kids is much, much, much more work than just double having one kid. It hardly makes sense, but one reason I think is that with one kid, you have two adults to deal with one baby. A baby is more than a full time job. Then, when you add a baby to a toddler, you still only have two adults for a job that you have become accustomed to needing two adults for half that much work. So, you've doubled the work and halved the workers...hmmm.
AmyJane said…
We just had our New Year's Eve Family Council called "how to make this year better than last year." Good times, good times.
I hope this year goes well for you!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals