The World's Rudest Receptionist

Even though I should be doing other things, I can't let this go without blogging about it. I just got a call from a job to schedule an interview. I'm not going to give other details about it so it doesn't come back to bite me. But, I'm already not sure if I want to work with the person who just called me.

First of all, when I picked up the phone it was somewhat faint and crackly. We have some kind of problem with our phone line in this apartment; we've bought three different phones since living here and none of them work well. Apparently I didn't respond quickly enough to something this girl said, since she suddenly said "Hel-o-o! Can you hear me?" in a very rude voice. Usually when I explain that my phone is having a little trouble, most people respond with sympathy and speak a little more loudly. This girls seemed to take my phone problems as a personal insult.

She then announced that she would call me back. I went in the other room and answered the wall phone, which sometimes doesn't work either. This time it did, although things were a little faint still. She then said something like "Gosh, what's wrong with your phone? It still sounds funny". I didn't know what to say; I would have preferred to just get the appointment made and get off the phone with Rude Girl (her whole tone during the interview was really rude and short). At the end of the call she said "You need to get a new phone, OK?" Uh yeah, you're really going to make me want to work there with that kind of interaction.

This is why I've started calling people on my cell phone now that I have one. And it's also why I'm extremely frustrated about the job search. If Rude Girl can get a job, why can't I? Maybe I need to learn to be a bit more rude.

Comments

Kristeee said…
I talk with a lot of people each day and sometimes everyone within a company is just rude, or at least they all come off that way on the phone. Hopefully this company is really full of nice people and just their receptionist is mean. And maybe Rude Girl was hired because her dad's the boss or boss-in-law or something? Don't give up hope. You can make it. As the Reverend Mother says, "wherever the Lord closes a door, somewhere He opens a window."
Lindsay said…
Of all the places my husband is currently interviewing with, the one he likes the most also apparently employs the nicest people. I don't think it's a coincidence that the potential for nice co-workers will entice you towards a certain job. Now...if this place could just make him an offer...

Good luck. Maybe this receptionist is just a fluke and everyone else in the company is as nice as can be.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals