Common Sense 101

Every now and then I peruse BYU's news website, mainly for laughs. Today I noticed an article about a guy who is upset that the library is fining him $700 for highlighting in five books he checked out. First of all, I'm astounded that someone could reach the age of twenty-seven and not understand that you don't get to write in library books. Heck, S-Boogie just turned four and she knows that library books are special. Second of all, I think it's funny that the article mentions that the guy's wife told him not to do it, but he ignored her. The third thing that I found ridiculous was that they guy was complaining because he can't afford the fines since he's a "married student". OK, so my husband and I were married students for a very long time (and still are). What really bugs me at BYU though is how so many people use the fact that they are married as some sort of cop out. Like they didn't make a conscious choice to get married and to be poor during school. Um, did no one tell you that you won't be special because you're going to a university where nearly half the students are married? If you want to get married when you're 22 and still in school, fine. Just don't whine about it all the time. And if you're mature enough to get married, you're certainly mature enough to know that it is bad to write in library books.

Comments

Vanessa Swenson said…
Do you remember that guy that broke his leg at BYU a few years ago because he chased after a guy who was on roller blades?
http://newsnet.byu.edu/story.cfm/40349
It's one of my favorites of all time. I especially like the part where his wife tries to make it sound like he's just a do-gooder and that trying to enforce the honor code and travel laws is somehow under his purview.
FoxyJ said…
I'm still mystified about how managed to break his femur just from getting pushed to the ground. That seems pretty extreme. And I love how his wife was described as a "pre-home economics major". Nice.
erinannie said…
I always got annoyed by the people who whined "but I'm a married student." Um, doesn't that mean there's 2 incomes in your house? As compared to just one? And 2 people making sure the finances are in check? (in theory)
That guy is a doofus.
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
There is no hope for humanity.
Anonymous said…
Okay, I'm doing this anonymously because I actually know the guy! Now, not knowing that you shouldn't highlight library books is pretty stupid. But, let me add that the reporters got a few things wrong. (For example they say he's a Near Eastern studies major -- that major hasn't existed for 5 years! I happen to know his major.) So maybe he's not quite as dumb as the story makes him to be. Though I'll say, he can be clueless. And yeah, using "being married" as an excuse for not having to pay a fine is lame. If you can't live up to the responsibility of drawing in a library book, you should get your marriage license revoked!
Wasn't there a BYU student a few years ago that reported a stolen bag of marijuana to the cops?

When I was at USU there a was a feature in the Statesman called "Police Blotter." My roommates and I would wait for it to come out every Friday to gales of laughter. We cut out all the best and hung them around the mirror.

I'm not sure which was worse, the dumb things people got up to or the USU Police Department's impotence at handling each situation.
Kengo Biddles said…
"pre-home economics major"

That much competition to get into the Home-Ec Major, eh? Wow. Who knew.
Kristeee said…
My friends and I all waited patiently for the Daily Universe police stories to come out at the end of each week. We were always amazed at how dumb some students are and how the "crimes" were reported. Highlighting a library book though - moron!

The "I'm a married student" thing gets me - as if he were sucked into the situation through no fault of his own? And nevermind that married students with low income get excellent grant money.
robin marie said…
he's married so he can't be accountable for his actions! man, i'm going to have to start using that one!!!
Sarah said…
I do miss reading the BYU newspaper Police Beat! Some people have a very twisted sense of personal privilege - it looks like this guy is one of them. I really don't understand those kinds of people who really think rules just bend around them regardless of their own actions. Fine the crud out of him!
Nemesis said…
Don't even get me started on the "but I'm married" argument. That thing holds less than no water with me--if anything it should make you be MORE responsible. My freshman year at BYU I saw a guy cheating in the testing center--I was even more horrified when I realized he was married. (In my 18-yr-old mind marriage equaled maturity).

I've learned a lot since then.

Also, people who write in library books deserve to have their hands cut off. I bet he was one of those weirdos who highlights just about every other word in the first chapter and then just gives up for some reason.
rantipoler said…
Amen, amen, and amen.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals