For ladies only

My male readers should go find something else to read right now. Believe me, you will not be interested in the contents of this post. Fortunately I can get sympathy from all the ladies, because they know exactly what I'm talking about.

So last month I decided to start taking birth control pills again. Normally you should start taking them on the Sunday after starting your period, just to be in sync with your cycle. I was impatient and decided to start taking them the week before my period. I was somewhat hopeful that this would mean I could skip for a month. The first week was fine and I started to get excited that maybe I was just going to reset my body. Then during the middle of the second week my period started. As if that wasn't bad enough, my body decided to punish me by making it extra yucky. And it lasted ten days. Ten days! Things finally calmed down this last Sunday, which also marked the start of the "off week" in which I was supposed to be having a period. I was once again hopeful that my body would just skip it. But alas, I woke up yesterday to discover that my hopes were in vain. Perhaps the strategy of these pills is to make you completely undesirable for the entire month. It seems to be working.

Comments

Desmama said…
I hear you. Wasn't it your mom who said that the first thing she's going to ask when she gets to heaven is "What was up with that hormone thing?" I love that. I want to be there when she asks it so I hear the reply.
Anonymous said…
ummmm... you didn't take it as prescribed. Whose fault is that?
Mama said…
oh man - what a pain.

Taking the pill was just the worst for me.

When it wasn't flocking with my flowage - it left me so un-interested in doing what it prevented, it proved doubly effective.

Life since a tubal ligation has been much better. :)
Anonymous said…
Get a Mirena IUD. You'll never look back. I hear people complain about the pill and I'm like, Honey, please... In all seriousness though, you should look it up. Less bleeding, lasts for five years, reduces cramps and acne, and it's not hormones that spread through your whole body.
FoxyJ said…
I would love to get something like an IUD since we're pretty sure we don't want more kids any time soon. Unfortunately my uterus has problems that prevent me from getting one. So I'm stuck with the pill for now. Generally it hasn't given me problems in the past, but this time around we're having a little trouble.
Earth Sign Mama said…
I LOVE the label: "too much information"!! But if we can't complain about our women things with our friends, then what good is the blog-o-sphere??
Samantha said…
My husband was never comfortable with me taking the pill--probably because I turned into a stranger. Life became impossible as I couldn't cope with stress of any kind. And since I was already, by nature, sort of disinterested in sex, the lack of libido inspired by the hormones made a difficult situation worse...and now I have added to your "too much information"...

Good luck. I really hope you have more success than I did with those hormones, and I completely sympathize with the difficulties you're having recently.
Lindsay said…
Hormones are messy things, aren't they?
Lady Steed said…
oh i am so sorry, that's horible
Jenny said…
My OB told me that if I wanted I could technically throw out the period pills and start the next pack if I didn't want to have a period. I was never on the pill long enough to try it out though.
Sposita said…
i've had to bounce around on birth control pills for awhile, but i find if you have specific complaints, there is enough variability (even between brands) that you can find one that doesn't make you feel horrible all the time.

have you heard of the new Seasonale ones? You only have a period 4 times a year! cool!

Good luck!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals