Who's stubborn now?

A little while ago I remarked to a friend that I considered myself to be stubborn. He expressed surprise, because my public persona is fairly self-effacing and easygoing. But inside I really am stubborn. This morning I proved my point at breakfast. We were having leftover pancakes and hash browns from last night's dinner. Little Dude expressed a desire to have some of my hash browns by pointing to my plate and shrieking. I have a low tolerance for shrieking babies and am determined to teach my children not to shriek. It worked the first time, but I'm now confronted with a non-verbal child who doesn't feel like he has other options. So I looked at him, signed "more" and asked "do you want more?". He shrieked some more. I signed "more" and so did Mr. Fob and S-Boogie. We had a battle of wills for quite a while. Every now and then he would sign "more" politely and be rewarded with a few more bites of hash browns (and lots of praise). I was pretty surprised by how long he would keep trying the shrieking route before giving up and signing. But I was more stubborn and held out for politeness. At lunch he did a great job asking politely for "more" ravioli, so I think it might be working.

PS--I've been reading a book on "gentle discipline" and they state that you shouldn't look at discipline as a chance for parents to "win" and get control of their children. So I will say that I didn't "win", but I did persuade Little Dude that politeness was in his best interest. I don't think his need to eat should win out over our family's need to retain our hearing intact. Signing is a good compromise for that, I think.

Comments

Kengo Biddles said…
I sure wish we could do the same with Ginta....
Jenny said…
Would you be willing to share the title of this book?
Earth Sign Mama said…
I like that "persuade" concept. I'll use it more at school. I don't get too much shrieking but I get a lot of "yo' mama" sort of back talk and behavior. I have a miriade of positive behavior rewards that I've invented over the years because I grew tired of neglecting my obedient students. These rewards ALWAYS work. The rule-keepers feel vindicated, the violators shape up.
Earth Sign Mama said…
And now for my other reaction:

WHAT? Foxy stubborn?? NO--say it isn't so.
FoxyJ said…
Jenny--The title of the book was "Adventures in Gentle Discipline" and it was published by La Leche League. I just found it on the shelf at the library.

Mom--Yeah, I'm trying the "persuading" route on both of them. I've told S-Boogie that I don't hear whining and I don't respond to it. I also don't argue with her any more about some things. Like tonight it was bath time and she was trying to convince me that she wasn't dirty. I just went ahead and filled up the tub and did the whole bath thing whether she wanted to or not.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals