I came, I saw, I bought a milkshake

I went to school today and I survived it pretty well. My first class is a contemporary Spanish literature class. Cool teacher, cool subject, and we are even working some film in since we are looking at film noir and its influence on literature. I don't like the fact that the class is so big (about 30 people or so), but I can live with that. Oh, and I remembered again that I am really annoyed by the guys who sit around before literature classes begin and talk about how they "hope they can read all these stupid books and do all right so they can get into business/medical/law school". Pooh! Pooh on them!

Between classes on Monday and Wednesday I have a break of a few hours, so first I braved the hell that is the bookstore on the first day of class (waited in line for 25 minutes and paid way too much for one stupid book). I also went to the counseling center and got an appointment for later this week. For some reason filling out their paperwork was kind of difficult and made me want to cry. Oh, and I couldn't help wondering why the guy in the pink glitter flip flops was there...

After that whole adventure I decided that I deserved a milkshake and was very glad to have money on my Signature Card for just such emergencies. I then wandered over to the JKB and rejoiced in the fact that I have an office and computer room that I can use simply by virtue of being a grad student (ha, ha, I have perks that you don't).

My other class on Monday and Wednesday is a pedagogy class. It's meant for non-pedagogy types like myself and should be fairly interesting. It's basically an overview of topics in Spanish teaching and such. It should also be pleasant because I like the professor and there are only 6 people in the class. I was disappointed that no one I already knew was in there, but I also found out that the department admitted 12 new grad students this year, which is double their average. So I don't feel that bad about not teaching after all, since there are so many other people who are not yet burned out and jaded like I am.

Well, I am glad that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and that I should be enjoying all my classes. I will definitely be returning for my Don Quijote class tomorrow morning, especially since it is with Dr. Rosenberg (who is already a member of my small fan club). S-Boogie seemed a lot better today, and I'm sure that's due in part to the fact that I got a nice break for several hours this afternoon. She enjoyed her time with daddy and I'm glad we can work our lives so she can get good time with both parents. I think this will be a good semester for all of us.

Comments

Desmama said…
Dr. Rosenberg was my professor in Spain. Wonderful, kind man! I babysat his two daughters when we returned while he and his wife took off for a weekend.
Th. said…
.

Where did you buy the milkshake? I like Stan's best, just east of campus on Ninth. Oh, how I miss thee, Stan's!
FoxyJ said…
I love Dr. Rosenberg--he is so nice. Yesterday morning in class he was trying to show us how to find his webpage from the BYU home page and when he brought up the BYU page they had his picture on the front (he just got made dean)--he acted all embarrassed about it. Oh, and I was in Madrid from October 1999 through January 2001. It's a wonderful place and I miss it a lot.
Oh, and Th, I just got the milkshake at the Cougareat. I love Stan's, but I'm not willing to walk that far...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals