Material Girl

Easter is coming up in about a month, in case you haven't been in any stores lately and couldn't tell. It's always been one of my favorite holidays, because of the fact that we're celebrating the resurrection of Christ and the fact that it's in the springtime. I really don't like that so many holidays have just become an excuse for people to buy more stuff, especially for kids. I don't want my kids to always be expecting to get things every time a special occasion rolls around, plus I like to minimize the amount of crap we have sitting around our house and the amount of junk that S-Boogie eats. Most of my memories of holidays from when I was a kid were all the fun things we would do, like coloring eggs for Easter or baking cookies for people at Christmas. Those are the kind of memories I want S-Boogie to have. I'm excited because this year she's big enough that she could help me do some fun things. We're either going to make carrot shaped cookies or bunny bread, I haven't decided. I'm not totally sure she's ready for dying eggs yet, although it would be a good excuse to make deviled eggs. But yeah, no Easter basket full of junk for her.

Then I was in Target the other day and I saw this dress. And I remembered that we often got new dresses for Easter when I was a kid. It seems like a reasonable thing to do, since the seasons are changing and it's a holiday when we mainly celebrate by going to church. So I think I want to get S-Boogie an Easter dress this year. We haven't during the last 2 years, but she could use a new spring/summer dress anyways and there are so many pretty dresses out there. After looking around a bit, I think that even though that dress from Target is pretty darn cute, it's overpriced and I would probably have to buy a sweater to go over it anyways. Then I found this one at Old Navy, which is cheaper, cuter and has sleeves. Well, it would still be a bit cold in April, but they have these beautiful sweaters in case we're feeling extravagant. And then I really liked this dress too, especially since you can get matching shoes and a hat. S-Boogie told me that she likes the pink dress with flowers, and it has some cute little shoes to go with it. Sigh--I think I really do like shopping after all. Especially since they have so many pretty dresses. Maybe I should just get her a chocolate bunny--it would be cheaper.

Comments

TK said…
I tried to check out the dresses but found that Old Navy is taking a break, so I can't see them tonight.

However, I can't resist asking about the 'bunny bread'. Do you have a vegetarian recipe? If not, it seems kinda gross, especially at Eastertime . . . (picture me cracking up - sorry, it just hit me really funny! :)
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
Oh my goodness, those shoes are the cutest little things in the whole wide world!
skyeJ said…
You have pieces of crap laying around your house???!!! eew.

I had no idea it was Easter soon.
I love Morocco!!!
Earth Sign Mama said…
Speaking of not indulging your children with any extra candy, have you told your friends about the Cadbury egg?
And those shoes ARE the cutest little things in the whole world!! You could always have her wear a light top under the sleeveless dresses...
Th. said…
.

Tell us about the Cadbury egg.
Cicada said…
Okay, so you usually convince me not to have children, but now I definitely want one. Thanks. Know where I could get one?
FoxyJ said…
Cicada--I actually just finished reading an interesting article in the NY Times Magazine about single women who conceive using sperm donors. If you save up several thousand dollars, it's possible.

TK--"bunny bread" is apparently something my mom made up to have healthy easter treats. Master Fob wondered the same thing you did. It's just roll dough shaped like bunnies that you put faces on with icing.

Th--My mother used to buy one Cadbury egg for all of us, cut it into pieces, and give us each a small piece. It is now our favorite Easter tradition to laugh about.
AmyJane said…
Two things. Firstly, I am totally in favor or little girl Easter dresses. I think all of the dresses you picked are darling. Someday, when you are rich, you should check out the Easter dresses at Dillards. That's where my mom buys my littlest sisters dresses (she's 9). I'm pretty sure she sewed all of mine,back in the days of poverty.
Second thing. While in theory I agree with not training your kid to expect loads of presents at every holiday, I bough Patrick things for his basket this year like books for church, a summer hat, bigger binkies...stuff he needs anyway. Cause I can't decide whether it's better to amke those his Easter basket, or just buy them anyway. It's a dilemma! :)
Cicada said…
Wow. Why would a woman spend several thousand dollars on an anonymous sperm donor when she could just go to a bar, find a man with a high-paying job and who's dressed nicely, have a one-night stand, and get pregnant THAT way? Sure, her child may turn out to be a sleezy executive someday, but she'd save a couple thousand dollars!

Even better, she could hit him up for child support, and he could provide, since he's got a high-paying job. Some people (like who go to anonymous sperm donors) just don't think things like this through.
Unknown said…
Little girl dresses are generally much too cute to not be bought, assuming one has a little girl (or a very large doll) to put them on.
TK said…
I finally got to see the dresses. My vote goes for the green dress w/matching shoes, which would look so cute on SBoogie. Earth Sign Mama's suggestion of a little top underneath would be good, and not cover up the dress like a sweater would. Of course, any of the dresses would look cute on SBoogie. Be sure to post her Easter picture so we can see it (please).

Your Cadbury egg story is pretty funny - I can see why you and Master Fob were attracted to each other, considering the story of his mother making him and his siblings take turns cutting the napkins in half for one of their chores. (But the Cadbury tradition makes a much better story!)

And I totally LOL when I read Cicada's comments. (Who needs TV for entertainment, when they have connections to such witty bloggers!)
JB said…
My favorites are the green polka dot dress and the pink one with the flowers on them. But they're all adorable. How fun to have a girl you can dress up sometimes!
JB said…
Cicada- I know the children of a woman who did that. She found a guy she liked, "hung out" with him around the time she was most fertile and took off. Two years later, when she wanted another baby, she wanted her second child to have the same father, so she did it again. Then, about six years after the first, she couldn't afford to be a single mom anymore, so she sued for child support, but she said it'd be too traumatic for him to actually spend any time with the children. It happens!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals