Running headlong into the third trimester

As of tomorrow, I will be 28 weeks pregnant. I am officially into the third trimester now, and for some reason this week my body feels really crummy. I don't remember feeling too bad when I was pregnant with S-Boogie. Then again, I graduated when I was about 28 weeks pregnant, spent the next two months working part time, and then spent the last 4 weeks sitting on the couch in my apartment reading books. No wonder I feel worse this time around. I have been trying to convince myself that I am strong and that I can do lots of things while pregnant. Heck, I'm taking a feminist literature course in which we continually debunk the notion that women are the "weaker sex". Well, guess what I'm figuring out: women who are 7 months pregnant are the weaker sex (at least physically, not mentally). But, I also want to graduate with my master's degree, especially since we are for sure going somewhere this fall. I can probably still drag myself to campus for class for the next twelve weeks. I just wish my feet weren't already starting to swell. At least I now look like I deserve to take the elevator. And this afternoon a guy held open a door for me in the Tanner building and I was truly grateful. Maybe some time later this year I will get back in my "I am woman hear me roar" mode; for now, "I am pregnant, see me waddle" will have to suffice.

Comments

Desmama said…
I will be 29 weeks pregnant tomorrow, and I don't remember feeling so crummy either. Perhaps it's a second-pregnancy phenomenon?
AmyJane said…
Ugghh. You poor thing. I HATED the last tri of my first pregnancy--I hate to even imagine the next time around! Do your best to rest up whenever life with a toddler lets you. I also can't imagine the exhaustion of a newborn baby AND having a toddler.
Also, texmom, where have you even been? :)
M. Hatch said…
I don't know you . . . but

"I am pregnant, see me waddle."

Funniest line I have read all day!

bwahahaha!
Anonymous said…
I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow, and I'm feeling completely helpless lately. Maybe I'm supposed to enjoy it when I can ask Jon Boy to lift heavy stuff, help me out of cars, pick stuff up from the ground, and give me backrubs, but I hate not being able to do things I've always been able to do. I hate asking for help too.

Still. I'm so close to having a little baby boy in my arms, I think I can bear another week or two of helplessness and gracelessness and achiness just to see his little face. :)
Earth Sign Mama said…
rtOkay, so call me old-fashioned, but this is just one of the reasons why the sequence of marriage, then babies, is the best. I, too grew up with the attitude of "Get out of my way, I can do this myself" (but as the result of being one of six daughters of a farmer--not because of feminism's influence) and yet the last weeks of pregnancy left me really grateful for that other grown-up who was really invested in our (the baby and me) well-being. I was so in need of being helped at that point, that I can't imagine trying to navigate this period as a single mother-to-be.
skyeJ said…
Are you having headaches or seeing spots in front of your eyes? Are you having swelling in your upper extremities or your face? Do you have burning pain under your ribcage on the right side? You paranoid labor nurse sister hopes you are feeling not this type of bad. I'm sorry you're feeling bad. Try to get in a swimming pool for a while if you can. Make it FHE. THEY ALL COME OUT EVENTUALLY. I've never seen a baby stay inside. EVER. Keep your chin up....
Melyngoch said…
I feel like I want to comment, but I don't know what to say, except I hope you get time to sit on the couch and read books eventually, and would it help if I knitted you a leper bandage?
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
foxyj--I can't IMAGINE doing all that you do while pregnant. I can barely handle graduate school as a single person with relatively few commitments. Throw a husband, a toddler, and a baby on the way in there and I would be found in a sobbing puddle on the floor every morning. You are amazing.
FoxyJ said…
Don't worry, my blood pressure is still normal (aka, freakishly low), we checked (94/51). I'm pretty sure the problem is that I'm suffering from the hereditary curse of bad leg veins, and the blood isn't circulating very well. I've been trying to spend more time sitting with my feet propped up, and it seems to be helping.
TK said…
I have to agree w/snarky mormom - I read your blog the other day, and found myself thinking about it later in the day and still chuckling! (Of course, it wasn't just that line alone, but your using it in combination with "I am woman . . ." Made me laugh!)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals