PhD vs MLS

It is now the end of July, which means August and September are rapidly approaching. That really means that it is time to start thinking about applying for more grad school next year. I don't want to be filling out last-minute applications in December. Right now I'm still trying to decide if I want to go ahead for a PhD or if I want to get a library degree instead. For some reason Blogger doesn't like me doing bulleted lists, so I'll try to be as coherent as possible.

PhD:

I enjoyed my classes so far; I trust my professors when they tell me I do good work and that they think I would do well in a PhD program; I like studying and researching. However, I'm not a big fan of writing or publishing. I'm also not totally sure about committing myself to academia exclusively.

I like teaching; I like discussing ideas; I know I'm somewhat timid and a bit of a "soft" teacher, but I think that at higher levels that wouldn't be such an issue.

I like the work schedule and I like the university environment. I don't like some of the politics. The departmental politics were probably one of the worst parts of my MA and I'm a little nervous about jumping into that arena again. At least at a different university the politics will be different.

MLS

I love libraries and I love reading a wide variety of books. I also remember books easily, so I think I'd make a good reference librarian. At the same time, customer service jobs haven't always been my favorite. And I have little library experience thus far.

UW has a really good online MLS degree, so I could easily do my degree from home. And I would be a resident here by next year so tuition would be cheap. It would take three years though, and just from what I've seen of Mr. Fob's coursework I'm afraid most classes would be really boring for me.

Job opportunities would be more readily available with this degree, especially combined with the MA that I already have. However, if I have the same degree as Mr. Fob we might end up competing or have trouble job searching because many places have nepotism policies that prevent us working together.


The truth is, I'm leaning more heavily towards the PhD option. My main objection is just sheer terror. I have a mental block that tells me that I really can't do it; I can't teach, write or publish. I'm not that smart or that creative or even that cool.

Comments

Mama said…
Here is some information - do with it as you wish!

My mother is the manager of a library that was recently named Library (system) of the Year by ALA. She tells me often that the MLS is becoming obsolete with more and more of libraries being turned over to paraprofessionals. In their system, I don't know of a single manager who has her MLS. Even the heads of certain services (tech services, programming, children's services, etc.) no longer have their MLS. They did when my mom first started years ago, but it's no longer a standard. Now, most of the positions will call for a BA or a MA, but they no longer specifically call for a MLS.

I know the Miami-Dade system in FL operates similarly with paraprofessionals taking over, as well. My mom's husband was a manager there for years, and he could possibly tell me more. But I know he does not have her MLS.

Academic libraries might operate differently, though.
Kristeee said…
I say if you want the PhD you can do it. From what I've read of you, you're a brilliant, sensitive, observant person capable of adapting to situations and making things fun along the way. In understand the fear, but I'd say go for it! We'll cheer you on: F-O-X-Y!
Lisa said…
My vote would be a PhD. If other people can do it, you CAN do it. You only have one earth life to live...so just do it. Now if only I can follow my own advice with the things that I would like to do.
Earth Sign Mama said…
Cool enough? I would think that being a PhD would be the epitome of dweebish-nerddom. So you may actually be TOO cool. But, what do I know? On the other hand, of all the people I know who can start a difficult task and see it through to the other end--(one definition of "stubborn") you are certainly in the top 10. Fear is always going to be there. But I agree that since you only get one life, it is important to just do all the things you really crave while living it. Advanced degrees are never going to be obsolete. You won't be sorry you have one. Don't settle.
Desmama said…
I can't think of a better candidate for a PhD, actually. And I echo what everyone else has said.
Mama said…
Oh, I probably didn't make it clear enough, but I'd vote for Ph.D. And it's awfully nice of you to let us get to voice something about your very big decision.

Mr. Mormon is ABD on his Ph. D. He has a good job and not a lot will probably change for him as he finishes it, but it opens doors for him later if he needs to teach that just his masters wouldn't. (Well, he could teach with a masters, but the pay cut would be drastic whereas teaching at a university wouldn't hurt.)

GOOD LUCK!!!
Zillah said…
It seems to me, from the very, very little that I know you from reading your blog, that you are more than capable of doing both.
Speaking of both, why choose now? Apply to both types of programs and make your decision later. Then you can have actual acceptance letters and funding proposals to help you make your decision.
But...I'm all about delaying decisions until absolutely necessary.
Anonymous said…
You can so do the PhD. You don't have to worry about not being able to do it. I don't know anyone who would be better at it. And if you don't follow your heart now and pursue the PhD you'll regret it later. It will always hang there as something that defeated you because you didn't even try. Besides that, I think you'd love the professor's lifestyle. It's so much more flexible than any other job and makes the work-life balance for a mother great.
elbow said…
Shoot for the stars! You can do it, of course you can do anything you desire. I'm sure it's hard thinking about because you have two young kids, but no need to psych yourself out. Go for your dreams and whatever feels the best, God will fill in the rest!
Mrs. Hass-Bark said…
You absolutely can do the PhD. Sure, the coursework will be exhausting, but it's coursework in something you find interesting. So it'll that much easier to stay focused. Plus, there's that really great reward of being called Dr. Foxy at the end.
Katya said…
Just to add to mamamormon's original comment, academic libraries certainly do operate differently, almost always requiring MLS degrees for their top positions.

Also, I actually did a survey for a Board question of what libraries require in the way of education, and found that 50% of the positions posted in a given timeframe on the LIS jobs message board required applicants to have an MLS, while an additional 12% preferred applicants with the MLS degree.

That said, from reading your thoughts on the matter, I actually recommend the PhD as the better fit for you.
Zillah said…
Do you know what you want to do with the phd? Would you ultimately like to find a tenure track position at a university? If this is the case, you should be aware that the first few years--when you are fighting for tenure--will be pretty awful, in terms of time and work. I was born right before my dad started his phd program, and I think I saw him about once a week until he got tenure. Granted, that's mainly because of the way that my parents decided to do things, but the notion of publish or perish is quite real.
However, there are a number of much more flexible options, such as part-time teaching at a university, teaching at a community college, or even teaching at a private prep school. And being a full time professor can definitely be a family friendly job (after tenure) if you would like it to be. But you seem like the type of person who can make anything work, so I say go for the PhD.
Petra said…
Don't let fear stop you from what you really want to do. Try this: think of the dumbest professor you knew at BYU. S/he got a Ph.D. That means you can do it too.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals