S-Boogie Update

S-Boogie has cellulitis; according the handout we got from the ER it is a "potentially serious infection". Basically it happens when bacteria that are normally on the outside of your skin get inside it and decide to have a party. They probably got in through her mosquito bites. The "potentially serious" part comes in when the bacteria get into the bloodstream or if you get a scary bacterium like staph or that flesh-eating stuff. Thankfully none of that happened and her hand is looking much better. The only thing that sucks is that she's taking the extra-strength antibiotics that have to be given three times a day (every eight hours). That means that we get to take turns waking her up at 4 in the morning to give her medicine and a little snack to settle her tummy. I guess it's better than having her come down with a systemic infection or ending up in the hospital. At least she's an adaptable sort of kid and really doesn't seem to mind getting up to take medicine. I wish I were that cheerful about it.

Comments

Lindsay said…
I hope she heals up quickly!
Kristeee said…
Wow, as fun as bacteria parties are, it's not fun when it's in your own child's hand, is it? I'm glad you figured out what it is and that it's getting better.

Just a thought - you might want to consider feeding her a lot of yogurt with active cultures, or even getting some acidopholus at the vitamin store to keep her insides happy with all those antibiotics.
I took my baby in for 2 months shots today. I thought of all the icky things that could get them--diptheria, whooping cough, measles, chicken pox, small pox, polio . . . I'm so grateful for modern medicine. What a blessing that waking her at 4 am is the worst thing that has to happen.

Did you ever read Mrs. Mike?
PS I just read your blog comment about serving a mission in Spain. I know just what you mean. I served in Australia. The year I got home my mother put a HUGE wreath in her living room filled with eucalyptus. I would sit in the room and just close my eyes and remember the scent of the Great South Land just before a rainstorm.
TK said…
I'm glad she's doing well!

And I love your new profile pic!
Earth Sign Mama said…
Don't read Mrs. Mike until your children have all survived childhood. But, by all means, read it.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals