Eight Months

I've been trying to write a little bit about each month of Little Dude's life, so that someday I will have some sort of record of his first year or so. I probably won't get around to doing a scrapbook or anything like it until he's at least in college, so this will have to do for now. Little Dude's eighth month has not seen any major milestones, but he is slowly growing and maturing. He can now sit up quite well, but rarely does it because he would rather be scooting across the floor on his tummy. He continues to ignore his toys in favor of electrical cords, books, and stale cheerios from under the table. He is almost crawling and will often get up on his hands and knees, but then decides that it's faster to just drag himself around by his elbows. Little Dude also started eating Cheerios this month; his pincer grasp isn't very well developed, so he just mashes hand fulls of them into his mouth and manages to get one or two of them in (the rest end up in his clothes, on the floor, in his seat, etc...). Also, if anyone tells you that babies "can't choke on Cheerios", they don't know Little Dude. So far it hasn't been serious, but he's scared me a few times by forgetting to properly mash them up in his mouth before attempting to swallow. I'm a little nervous to give him any other finger foods to try just yet. He still loves to babble, especially when we are already talking (or singing, like in this video). Little Dude has a bit of a shy side and takes some time to warm up to new people. This has been a little new for me, since S-Boogie wasn't ever like that as a baby. Once he warms up though, he has a great little smile and the sweetest little laugh. I'm happy he's our "Dr. Jiggle" and he's been a lot of fun to have around this month.

Comments

Anonymous said…
When Little Dude "chokes" on Cheerios, does he spit up all over? Lego (my son) is ten months old, and he still hasn't figured out how to mash finger foods with his mouth, so if something starts going down, he gags for a few seconds before barfing all over. It's great. And by great I mean disgusting.
FoxyJ said…
He doesn't gag and spit up, he just stops breathing for a second and scares the snot out of me. One time I had to pick him up and whack him on the back. I'm slightly tempted to buy those stupid overpriced "veggie puff" things they sell with the baby food, but so far I'm resisting.
Jenny said…
Both my kids choke and nearly die on stupid cheerios for the first year or so. I called the veggie puff people and they sent me coupons for them so I wasn't as bitter about buying them. Only unlike cheerios, they have virtually no calories so it's more like teaching how to eat than actually eating.

I posted earlier but blogger ate my comment.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals