So Much Trouble in the World

28 And it came to pass that the God of heaven looked upon the residue of the people, and he wept; and Enoch bore record of it, saying: How is it that the heavens weep, and shed forth their tears as the rain upon the mountains?
29 And Enoch said unto the Lord: How is it that thou canst weep, seeing thou art holy, and from all eternity to all eternity?

32 The Lord said unto Enoch: Behold these thy brethren; they are the workmanship of mine own hands, and I gave unto them their knowledge, in the day I created them; and in the Garden of Eden, gave I unto man his agency
;
33 And unto thy brethren have I said, and also given commandment, that they should love one another, and that they should choose me, their Father; but behold, they are without affection, and they hate their own blood;

--Moses 7

This is one of my favorite passages of scripture; I love the image of God weeping in heartbreak as he watches His children. LDS theology has some distinct views on the nature of God and the nature of good and evil. A central problem in philosophy is the origin of good and evil; if God created everything, then did he create evil? I don't have all the answers, but I feel most comfort with the idea that evil and good are eternal problems that existed before God and will continue to exist forever. God is bound by eternal laws that are greater than He is; who created these laws, I don't know. More mysteries upon mysteries. I also believe that we are both spirit and body and that one of the main purposes of this life is to test our spirits and help them grow. God has given us agency, which is not just the freedom to choose, but the power to act and to be held responsible for our actions. I also believe that someday we will be judged for our actions, but not in any sort of judgement of the type that we know here on earth. Our goal here is to spiritually mature, not just accumulate righteous actions or to somehow earn celestial points or something like that. God repeats throughout the scriptures that we are supposed to become something different.

So, we know the cliche about how this life is a test. That would explain all the pain and suffering in the world, right? We often hear talk about how the Book of Mormon was prophetically "written for our time". I've realized more and more that the situations in it too often reflect what we find in our contemporary society: racial prejudice, a society constantly involved in war, struggles by religious leaders to truly guide the people, poverty and wealth juxtaposed in a single society, etc. I read in Alma about a group of Christian women and children who were burned alive in front of their husbands and fathers. When the missionaries who had taught this group cried out to God in horror, his answer was to let the killing continue. God allowed innocents to die in order to truly prove the depravity of their killers. According to the Book of Mormon, God allows evil as the ultimate test of His people. How can we tell the depths of evil that a person can find if he is not allowed the freedom to choose? And if innocent people are hurt and killed, we believe that their spirits will be saved and they will have passed their test valiantly.

This sounds rather glib, and the truth is that it is a pat answer. It is easy to figure out the equation that freedom to act now will bring eternal consequences. The hardest part is figuring out what to do about life here on Earth, where pain and suffering surround us every day. I think for many people their test during this life is physical; they are born into poverty, war, slavery, etc. But at the same time, I realize that I am being tested too. I will probably never have to endure civil war, sexual slavery, displacement, torture, or any of those things. Given my education level, mental health and family support, I probably won't even be homeless or jobless at any point in my life. I think the true test for many of us is what we do when we are faced with the suffering of others. What is my reaction when I see movies like
Hotel Rwanda, The Constant Gardener, or Schindler's List or read books like A Problem From Hell? Do I calmly keep eating my popcorn? Do I cry during the credits and then go write a post like this one about my guilt? Do I sell my stuff and move to Africa? Do I donate extra money to the "right causes"? Do I put all my stuff in storage and join the Peace Corps? (Go Skye!) The truth is, I don't know what I can or should do. But I do know that I want to do something. If I believe that my test here on Earth is to refine my spirit to become like God, then I must do something. I can't kill off all the wicked people with a flood. I can't change centuries of corruption and exploitation that pervade human history. I'm fully aware that there are many problems that increased foreign aid and even international intervention cannot fix.

And here is where I always get stuck. What to do besides watch movies and read books about the suffering of others, while I am surrounded by my nice warm house, my healthy children and my plentiful food. And I know that there is plenty of suffering to go around, even right here in my own neighborhood. Homeless people freeze to death down the street from me and I saw a woman on craigslist selling her children's things so she can pay her rent. I barely have enough money to pay my own rent most months. I'm still trying to figure out how to truly become like God. I live simply and help others when the opportunity crosses my way. I occasionally try and seek out those opportunities. But most of the time I just end up feeling frustrated that I cannot do more. I really do want to be like God; most days, I just hope that "shedding forth [my] tears as the rain upon the mountains" is a step in the right direction.

Comments

You've captured a lot of my feelings after watching Hotel Rwanda. Thanks.
Earth Sign Mama said…
This is always a dilema for me too. But honestly, you are able to do little things---you teach your children to do good for others. You live your life so that you aren't part of the problem (racism, road-rage, pollution, prejudice, ignorance, gluttony, greed, addiction) and teach your children the same. Then, when you aren't raising children anymore, you can devote some time, energy, money, etc. to the rest of the world. (or classrooms) And those children you raised will go on to do the same. It's ripples in a pond, I know, but your children can go on to their own families, or bigger ponds (like Morocco.) We can each do our little part and all the little parts will add up.
Earth Sign Mama said…
I wish to expand the list of bigger ponds:
Argentina
Spain
Russia
Baltimore
Seattle
See, wherever you live--you're still doing good things just because you've been taught to and learned it is the best way to live.
AmyJane said…
Wow. So interesting. We took a family drive today after church and naps. We headed towards the temple and then through the richy-rich neighborhoods nearby. On the way home, afte seeing all the millionaire mansions we passed through the ghettos of Reno and the trailer parks that surround. We were talking about the stark constrast and poor distribution of wealth that exists in our society. It IS hard to know what to do, especially when you yourselves are just starting out and making it work. Thanks for your thoughts.
Lady Steed said…
I too often feel the same way. What can I possibly do to combat all the evils of the world?

Yesterday I wasted an hour watching My Super Sweet Sixteen on MTV, it is a truly disgusting show. Afterwards I wondered how a mere child can think such opulence is justified as celebration of her sixteenth year when there are people with nothing. The cost of one of those parties could probably feed and house a small family for a year or more.

I marveled at the waste. Does a child like that ever think about others?

You and I think about others. We teach our children to think of others. We do what we can to help others. Loving your fellow man is one way of combating evil.
Lisa said…
Amen to your post. Great thoughts. Mahalo.
skyeJ said…
And, it's not about money or stuff. That concept is just as applicable in a society like America as it is in a society like the rural Moroccan village I live in now. Money won't take away the true problems in this place, just as it won't fix the true problems in America. I believe the true fix of the problems is to be like Christ. Give over your will and be truly selfless. Give to others one hundred percent, and all the world will be cared for. Like in a marriage. Give to others what you have, and they will give to you what they have, and then you ALL have. How do you show that, though? Do you go to that man on the street with no food and say, "Hey, I'm choosing to ease your suffering, okay?"? No, I believe you go and give him some food. The message is clear through your actions. The solution is clear through your actions. I believe the suffering of the people here, and the suffering of all people everywhere, can be eased by ACTING. Money is just one way to act, but there are SO many others. Simply becoming informed, one experience at a time, is a solution. I believe that the problems in our world can be solved, but it might take as long as it did to make them. Lifetimes. But, I do believe it is possible. I know it is possible, because I see peoples' actions every day.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals