That thing with feathers

First of all, thank you to everyone who has commented or emailed or called to lend me support. I appreciate knowing that people care; I did keep my appointment today. Actually, Master Fob and I decided to go in as a couple and do mostly couple work initially. I think it was a good choice for us. The counselor noted (fairly acccurately, I think) that many of my stresses and anxieties have built up due to my inability to talk about my emotions and needs with anyone. And Master Fob and I have several major issues that we have been avoiding for a while. The other day I was messing around on the internet and ran into a post on "Feminist Mormon Housewives" that was called "renavigating your marriage". I really liked it; it was specifically about the adjustments made as spouses wax or wane in their commitment to the church, and generally about how marriages call for a lot of adjusting over time. I think it wasn't just coincidence that I clicked on that post just a few days ago and have had time to think about it a lot before this morning. Hopefully over the next few months we can make some progress and move on to a better phase in our lives. This is going to take a lot of emotional work both from me and from both of us. I don't know if I'll blog about it much, since even though I appear to be fairly open about my life, I'll be making a lot of changes and exploring a lot of things that I don't want to make part of the permanent, public record. I think I'll start writing in my journal again, since I haven't done that for a few years (and then I'll burn it).

So, I didn't die and Little Dude had a great time at the babysitter's. He only cried for a few minutes and he managed to take a fairly lengthy nap for her (she has a quiet bedroom that is on a different floor from the playing children--what a luxury). Master Fob and I both like the counselor a lot and feel comfortable with him. Tonight I feel happier, more confident, and in general "lighter". This evening a friend called and needed my help on a dark day of her own. I was glad that I was in a position to help, and I felt honored to be needed by someone. I think it was also a confirmation to me that I will only be able to serve others after taking care of my own needs. I've been trying to avoid doing both of those things for too long. I think we're going down a good path here; I hope we can stay on it and that it leads to somewhere better than where I've been at for a while.

Comments

COOLGUY said…
Sweetie - I have a hard head and am a slow learner; but I can tell you that I HAVE learned that you must take care of of yourself first in any relationship before you have any hope of taking care of another person. This does not need to be a serial process, of course you don't ignore everything else while you focus on self but - the priority must be your own issues. I'm proud of you and MasterFOB for taking this big step. Things will work out - you are both good people - I am thinking of you guys every day....
Mama said…
I really appreciate what you share here. I don't post often, but read it all. I've found things you've said helpful to me - or sometimes I've chewed on your words and come out with my own POV.

Anyway - thank you for being so gracious and open and sharing with us what you're comfortable with. It is helpful to many!

Take care!

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals