And there was much rejoicing

The sun came out today and it was glorious. The snow-covered mountains actually look pretty cool as a backdrop to all the bright green spring grass. And I went and got a haircut today that turned out pretty well. I decided to try a new place, since I had a coupon for something called "The Works". It turned out to be a good deal, since I got my hair washed, cut, and styled for only $14. I know I could look better if I were willing to spend more money on my hair, but I'm just too cheap.

Also, I just found out that a paper I submitted for a conference got accepted and they want me to present. We were required to submit our papers as part of my women's writing class, and all of us who did got accepted for the conference (there are 5 of us grad students in all). I think it would be tons of fun, especially since several other people I know and like to hang out with are going. It's put on by the Asociacion de Escritoras de Espana y las Americas, or the "Association of Women Writers of Spain and the Americas". Basically, it's a group for people who study women writers from Spain and Latin America before the modern age. I'm still not sure if I will be able to go or not, though. The dates for the conference are October 5-7, which isn't the best timing for us since it happens shortly after our move to Washington. Also, money is a factor as well. The department has some funds, and I can apply for a grant through the university, but I'd probably still be paying some of my own way as well. I have until June 1 to commit for sure, so hopefully before then I can get a better idea of what is possible or not. It is held at Georgetown University, which is cool because I know a number of people in the DC area, plus DC is a fun place to visit. We'll have to see...

Comments

emily said…
¡Felicidades!

...and there was much rejoicing done by me as well in response to the return of spring. (hmm, syntax anyone?) I walked home barefoot and it was glorious.
Earth Sign Mama said…
So, your mom is on track break then, and she'd love a reason to go to D.C. in the fall---the very best time. And your dad chooses his East Coast times...respond and say YES...How many times do you get invited to go to Washington D.C. and be a professional?
COOLGUY said…
... wonderful news, I'd love to attend and listen to your presentation (would it be in Spanish?) ...

Very high honors, way to go!!!!
Congratulations! You are going to be so famous with Jeopardy and this! :)

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals