Frustration

Yesterday afternoon we filed our Federal taxes online (did you know that Washington has no state income tax? another good reason to live here). This morning we got email notification that our return had been rejected because my birth date does not match what the Social Security people have for me. This is the third year this has happened. The first time I called someone to try and find out what was going on. Apparently when I changed my name after getting married someone hit the wrong key and managed to change my birthday as well. The guy on the phone refused to tell me what they thought my birthday was, but when I told him what it really is he said they didn't match. We decided to just mail in our return (they need them to match when you're doing it online). Last year I finally got around to going down to the Social Security office and filling out their paperwork. We successfully filed online. Apparently something didn't work because it's not happening this year. The problem is, I can't remember what we did last year. I kind of remember being stupid and changing the date on my return to what the nice lady at the office told me was the false one. Because otherwise we would have had to wait a month for the change to happen before filing online. But if I did that, that was probably a bad idea because now the IRS seems to be confused. I guess we'll just mail it in and I'll get on the phone and try to figure out this whole mess. I hope it's not really my fault and just some dumb bureaucratic error.

Oh, and last year we spent 28 percent of our income on medical expenses. Which is even worse than the year before. I'm pretty sure we will be able to avoid that this year. And at least Little Dude is paying off his costs by providing us with hefty tax credits.

Comments

Kengo Biddles said…
It could be worse. One of my co-workers is reported dead with 2 of the three credit-reporting bureaus. That right there is a problem. And he's spent days trying to get them and the SS Administration to realize that he is himself and NOT a zombie...
Anonymous said…
Wow, 28 percent. I thought the 25% we spent on medical expenses over the last year was bad. (It IS bad. Just not as bad as yours.)
Yet another reason why you should not have sacrificed your very identity, as embodied by your last name, when you got married. That's what you get for defending the patriarchy.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals