Happy Valen-times

After a flurry of posting last week things have slowed down a bit. This week has been rather boring so far. Little Dude is feeling completely better from his ear infection, though the antibiotic has given him a touch of diarrhea and diaper rash. This isn't a good combo with his inability to lie on his back for more than thirty seconds at a time and I've spent way too much time wrestling a dirty, stinky baby lately. I also managed to develop a weird rash due to my overzealous application of prescription-strength cortisone cream. But it's feeling much better and I've learned to read the side effects carefully before using prescriptions.

S-Boogie got to attend her first ever Valentine's party at school this afternoon. The kids ran around and ate cookies while the parents stood around and talked. I was feeling exhausted from staying up too late last night and from a long afternoon without Master Fob, and I don't really know any of the parents yet. Plus they intimidate me; for some reason I'm paranoid that they'll find out I'm just a 28 year old college student who is poor as dirt. Some of them probably are in the same boat too, so I don't know why I feel so awkward about it. But I did talk to one lady who was very nice, so I guess any differences between me and the other parents really aren't all that big. S-Boogie brought home a bunch of little cards and candy and has been in love with Valentine's day for the entire day today. It's fun to see how excited she gets about holidays, especially since I've become rather jaded about the commercial aspects of them.

Speaking of commercial aspects, Master Fob and I broke with tradition and actually bought each other gifts this year. He got me a box of chocolates for the first time ever--I don't know if I like the plush red velvet covering more or the fact that it's filled with Dove truffles. I knew he had bought me a present so yesterday I bought him a book he's been wanting to read. We also went out to a movie last night. And we even bought popcorn, which was a total waste of money. I love movie popcorn and can hardly resist the smell when I walk into the theater. Usually I can resist the prices, but last night we splurged since we only go out to the movies once or twice a year these days. I just felt bad because we got a "medium" bag that turned out to be enormous and I only ate half of it. The movie was really good and quite powerful, but the violence in it was rather graphic and traumatized Master Fob. It covered a lot of themes that I'm working on for my thesis (which is on literature and film about the Spanish Civil War), so it was good to go see it and ruminate on a lot of issues it raised.

And Master Fob got to celebrate this holiday by working from 9 this morning until 10 at night (at two different jobs at least). So even if I had a long afternoon with two little kids, it still wasn't that bad. I think my brain is feeling better because I am now able to see that and feel bad for him, instead of just worrying about my own problems. That's progress.

Comments

Jenny said…
Dove Truffles are so good! Your post made me real hungry. This Valentines Day was fun if only because I have a little girl thrilled to death about valentines and the color pink.
I wish babies weren't so squirmy at diaper change times. I'm started having to use my legs, knees or feet to pin Ethan down and it's so annoying.
Desmama said…
Our Valentine's Day was, unfortunately, dominated by two kids who were both sick with different things and who sobbed all night (like, through the night). I am glad Little Dude is feeling better 'cause I'm afraid TinyDes might have an ear infection.
skyeJ said…
ha ha. ask Dad about my Valentine's Day. mmm... chocolate. mmm... messy diapers. waaaiiit...

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Happy, Happy Blog-day Foxy Dear