Exhibit A: Irrational Obsession

Remember how I asked if pregnancy makes you crazy? I'm glad so many other people understand where I'm coming from; for the record, PMS tends to do the same thing to me too. I generally have a few days each month where I cry over everything and get frustrated easily by little things. Like some of my irrational obsessions that take hold of me now and then.

This morning I headed over to Target to get a few things that we need. Yesterday I found a coupon online to try new gingerbread Pop Tarts. I'm not usually a big fan of Pop Tarts, but I love gingerbread and though they'd be a fun treat. Sadly, Target had no gingerbread ones anywhere. I ended up in a bad mood because they were also clean out of several other things that I had planned on buying. I really hate it when I go to a store and they don't have what I'm looking for in stock. It's been happening way too much to me lately. Even though I had Little Dude with me I decided to go to Walgreens since I needed some iron supplements and wanted a broader selection. They did have some iron supplements that promise to be gentle on the tummy (we'll see), but no Pop Tarts either. By this point all I could think about was gingerbread and Pop Tarts. So I decided to push the limit with Little Dude and take him to Smiths. Alas, no gingerbread Pop Tarts either. I talked myself out of buying gingerbread cookies by remembering my tasty gingerbread muffin recipe and so came home to make some muffins instead. I started crying a little when I opened the cupboard and realized that I didn't have very much molasses left. Thankfully it was enough for half a batch of muffins; instead of half an egg I just used the white and they were acceptable. Since I have now used the word 'gingerbread' about a million times in this post I will give you the recipe:

Gingerbread Mini Muffins

1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2/3 cup molasses
1 egg
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
2 tsps. grated lemon peel (optional)
2 1/2 cups flour
1 cup sour cream

Beat butter and sugars together until fluffy. Add molasses and egg and beat just until combined. Mix together flour and spices; mix half the flour into dough, then sour cream, then remaining flour mixture. Pour into mini muffin pans and bake at 375 for about 12-14 minutes.

These are great plain, but if you want to make them fancy you can either drizzle with a little cream cheese frosting or serve them with orange marmalade or lemon curd.

Comments

kadusey said…
Those sound tasty, though my own personal obsession at the moment is with pumpkin desserts. I started crying last night because we didn't have any chocolate chips and so I couldn't make the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies I was craving. Needless to say, after a trip to the grocery store today, we now have chocolate chips (and there is currently a pumpkin coffee cake in the oven to tide me over until I feel up to making the cookies).

I'm adding the gingerbread muffins to my "food to make" list. Yummy.
Kristeee said…
This sounds yummy. And I totally understand crying over not having what you were hoping for - it's a hormone thing. I just about cried the other night when I found I didn't have the big marshmallows to make s'mores in my fireplace. :)
Desmama said…
I cried the other night too and I don't even remember why, but I am having my period for the first time in like almost two years (pregnancy, nursing baby, you know the drill). Gah!

If I find gingerbread PopTarts, I am totally sending them to you because after that wild goose chase, you deserve them.

Popular posts from this blog

Reading Roundup: November 2016

I want to remember

Taking care of myself or taking it easy