Sigh

We have an enclosed patio on our new apartment, so I've taken to letting the kids play out there since they can have fun outside without running off anywhere. There's also a water spigot and a patch of dirt, which means the fun they have usually isn't the clean kind. This afternoon they wanted to play outside for a while before we left to take S-Boogie to a birthday party. I told them they could as long as they didn't turn on the water, since we didn't have a lot of time for cleaning up. Things were going well and I didn't hear any water. Then I heard S-Boogie ask "Hey Mom, what are these black rocks?" They'd gotten into the bag of charcoal we'd had stored out there and were playing with it.

And then later tonight I was finishing up the black bean soup I'd cooked for the missionaries. I thought I'd add a bit more cumin, and so unscrewed the lid and started shaking some in. Then I looked down and realized it was the jar without a shaker and I'd dumped about one-fourth a cup of cumin in the soup. Thankfully I fished a lot of it out. The soup was still edible but had a distinctive taste.

Comments

Th. said…
.

I've recently released the difference between food and art is cumin.
Earth Sign Mama said…
I totally agree with th.
With cumin AND charcoal, a little goes a long way.

My favorite winter spice is white pepper. I think it is impossible to make a really good creamy soup without it.
skyeJ said…
My taximan in Morocco said that a HUGE spoonful of cumin would cure any stomach bug you had. mmm. I prefer the pepto. But I do like cumin. Especially on cucumbers chopped up with tomatoes and some salt. mmm. Moroccan salad.

Popular posts from this blog

The Truth Comes Out

Living with ideals